RV Vacuum Breaker Check Valve | Protect Fresh Water from Pollutants 571-VAC-CHK-A
Just like in a stationary home, there are certain things that are needed, whether you want to think about them or not. One of these things is the vacuum breaker check valve. These pieces are a part of the black tank flushing system and sit between the freshwater inlet and the tank flusher. The purpose of this valve is to prevent water supply contamination from backflow and back-siphonage. When you are using the freshwater to flush the black water tank, the contaminants are flowing out through the tank. Once you stop the flow of water, however, there could be pressure that wants to push the contaminated water back up through the flushing system and into the freshwater source. The vacuum breaker check valve stops this, leaving your freshwater source clean and uncontaminated.
Although this piece is small and simple-looking there are several points that need to be addressed when it comes to proper water safety and installation.
- First, this should only be used on one fixture at a time. This might seem like an obvious point, however, this means that if you have two tanks that need to be flushed, you cannot use one line for both. You'll need two flushing systems, one per tank. This keeps the pressure in the line predictable and the vacuum breaker able to handle it.
- Second, this vacuum breaker is a high-hazard protectant, which means that it protects the potable water supply from toxic materials. Because of this, it can be used in a low-hazard application as well.
- Third, it should be installed a minimum of 6 inches above the highest point of any item connected to the waste tank where the flusher is installed. This vacuum breaker should also not be under more than 12 hours of continuous water pressure. This could cause the check valve to shut or become stuck.
- Fourth, make sure that this vacuum breaker is installed upright. It relies on gravity to properly function and if it is installed in a different position, the valve may not fully open.
This important part of your plumbing system is one that is more complicated than it looks. If you are unsure about how to install it, it is recommended to ask a certified RV mechanic or plumber. If you have any questions about the product itself, feel free to contact us online or call our friendly Customer Care team today!
- RV Vacuum Breaker Check Valve
- Prevents harmful bacteria and waste from getting into the hose or water system
- Dimensions: 3" x 3 1/4"
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: .8 ounces
- Fits with 1/2" PEX tubing
- Installed between water inlet connection and tank flusher
- Requires installation of at least 6" above the highest point of any item connected to the waste tank where the flusher is installed
- Meets IAPMO standards
- Made in America